Skip to main content

Ginger ale vs. ginger beer

My mother in law gave us a big bag of ginger, some of it had sprouted, ready for planting, but there was plenty of pieces, so I decided to make ginger ale, no, ginger beer, I couldn't decide, so I made one batch of each to compare.  I can't wait to grow my own ginger so I can make these regularly (have planted the left over ginger in a large pot).

Ginger beer
Following the instructions in Nourishing Traditions, I grated lots of ginger.  In a jar I put 1.5 cups of rainwater, 2 teaspoons of ginger and 2 teaspoons of white sugar, put the lid on and left it on the bench.  I added 2 teaspoons each of ginger and sugar every morning for a week.  After a few days I could see bubbles forming (that was an exciting start to the day!).



Day 1
Day 3 - see the bubbles?

After a week, the bug was ready, and I was supposed to make it up to 8 L, adding sugar and lemon juice, however, I wasn't sure what vessel to use, as ginger has a reputation for explosiveness!  My husband had the bright idea of using one of our beer fermenters, but they are 20 L, so we decided to make it up to 20 L with extra sugar.  After a couple of days the fermenter hadn't started bubbling (so much for the explosion risk!) and we both worried that it wasn't working, so we added a packet of ale yeast that we had in the fridge.  Still no bubbling.  After a week my husband poured it into a keg and "gassed it up" using the CO2 bottle that we have for beer making.  With the keg in the beer fridge, its pretty convenient to pour a jug of ginger beer, however I don't think we really made it properly!  It tastes sweet and gingery, with only a hint of  alcohol or yeasty taste.  I want to try this one again without fiddling with the recipe.....

making the ginger beer in the fermenter

A jug of ginger beer (after I drank some!)

Ginger Ale
Ginger ale was much quicker to make and brew.  I just put 1.5 L of rainwater in a jug with 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 grated ginger and 1/4 cup whey and left the jug on the bench for 3 days, before putting it in the fridge.  The result is a very sweet, gingery drink, without any fizz.  I drink it diluted about half with water, and it is a lovely refreshing drink.  I think I prefer the ale, as it was quicker, less mess, didn't have to remember to feed a bug, and I felt that the benefits of the lactic acid bacteria were greater than with the ginger beer.  If you don't have whey from cheese making, you could use kefir whey (and if you don't have kefir whey, you should get some kefir!).

Day 1

Day 3 (after straining)

Do you make ginger beer?  Or ale?

Comments

  1. I made it years ago and it was good with a lot of ginger flavor but it would blow an old style thick coca cola bottle in half so I must have done something wrong or didn't drink it fast enough. I don't remember the recipe but got it out of a book, I think it said ginger ale. I hope you can figure it out as it is a good drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm growing ginger for the first time this year as well...albeit in a much different environment than you are!

    I love the idea of Ginger Beer and think I'm going to try your recipe myself. Maybe a glass demi-john fitted with an airlock might suit when you bulk it up to 8 litres?

    And funnily enough, I'm sitting here having a glass of homemade Melon & Ginger wine while I'm writing this. Ginger is certainly in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried so many ginger beer recipes... I remember my mother making ginger beer with a "ginger beer plant" and it looked exactly like kefir grains. I really would like to get some and try them. I made a very small quantity of the last lot and it worked out fine - the last bottle erupted upon opening, but the little that was left tasted good. Luckily I was in the garden when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you and my neighbor would have fun together. He brews everything from scratch. Beer, ginger beer, mead, Wine, you name it he makes it. I think its awesome helping him and the by product is great in the compost bin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! I liked Ginger Water Kefir, must make it again. Wish we could grow ginger more readily down here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the NT recipe for the ale, it was salty! Maybe the whey ? Bleh! It sat in my frig for months & is now been on my counter for a month. I need to get rid of it but want to find a recipe just as good as Reed's Extra Ginger Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments! The pressure build up does make me a little nervous about using glass, I think I'll stick with our beer fermenters for now.

    Tanya, that melon and ginger wine sounds nice. I planted by ginger in pots after I saw it on your blog, hope it works!

    I haven't tried any water kefir yet, but we are building up too much milk kefir, so maybe that's something else to try.

    I've given up trying to match what I make to commercial products, just trying to get used to the new tastes that I'm creating. The other day my husband said that my pickles tasted like McDs and he thinks they are great, should I be offended? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mum gave me a very easy recipe for ginger beer (dictated it over skype actually!) a few months back. It makes just over 5 litres and can be bottled after about 3 days in the pot, drinkable in a week.

    It uses yeast grainules not a bug, I would really like to try a bug beer one day, just not using London rain-water :) I put it in glass as i have some 1 litre lemonade bottles with the old-school rubber stopper tops. No explosions yet, I always make sure to leave about 4 fingers of air at the top of the bottle and have been lucky so far. I do leave the bottles outside in a covered bucket though, just in case :) They make the most wonderful popping sound when you break the seal and it is lovely and gingery (I double the ginger-root to satisfy my gingery tastes)...

    Home made ginger-beer is great fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...