Skip to main content

Cornflour versus cornstarch

I use cornflour regularly to thicken sauces and gravies.  I only recently realised that the bright white colour is not natural.  I bought some organic corn flour and its creamy yellow, and does the same job.  So why is most corn flour white?  I haven't been able to find the exact answer, but I assume that its bleached, which means that the flour is oxidised.  Oxidation is something that you want to avoid in your food, that's why we are supposed to be eating anti-oxidants!  I have found some references to white corn, but I doubt that the corn is THAT white.  Anyway, I'm happy to have found some yellow cornflour and I won't be going back to the white stuff!

UPDATE December 2014
It turns out that "cornflour" in the UK and Australia is actually "corn starch".  Starch is a component of cornflour that is extracted using a fairly complicated process (although it doesn't seem to involve too many chemicals, just lots of water).  I guess the point of my original post was that I had no idea you could actually buy a corn flour that was just ground up corn, and use that for thickening.  It does have a corn flavour, whereas the white corn starch is pretty much tasteless.  Also some "corn flour" starch in Australia is actually made from wheat, and called "wheaten cornflour", but its just the starch extracted from wheat instead of corn.  I have also since found out that I can use tapioca for thickening.

Overall, I would prefer to use a less processed product, so wholemeal wheat, corn or tapioca flour rather than any form of refined starch.

What do you use to thicken your gravies and sauces?

the last of my white cornflour

enjoying the yellow cornflour

Comments

  1. I never thought about that before but it makes sense. Alot of corn flour is made out of wheat too and still called 'corn flour' ...as my son is wheat intolerant we often have to look out for that. Looks like we will be taking a trip to the organic shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, most (all?) of our supermarket bought cornflour is made from wheat. Something which baffles me LOL. It saddens me how much we alter our food for asthetics. We even bleach our garlic :0<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most interesting. I'd never thought about cornflour actually. This is what infuriates me about labelling. We should be told if something is bleached or oxidised or whatever. Was it difficult getting hold of the organic cornflour? Now I'm wondering if I can make my own somehow. I mill my own wheat grain to make flour, so is it as simple as milling corn to get cornflour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more! I've been thinking about this for a few weeks but never knew there was an organic brand out there. Now I'm on a mission to bulk buy and stock up.
    x

    (Suzi from dirt2dinner).

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time visiting your blog and I love the wealth of information!! I am following! Anything better for us we can do, I want to know/learn!! From one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to renew my stock of cornflour and picked up the White Wings 'packed in Australia made of imported ingredients'. Shriek!
    I've never noticed this before.
    I'm fiercely buying only Australian grown products. So now I'm here,on this site, looking for our own. Ceres is the go by the look of it, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, the "wheaten" cornflour is a weird one! I always made sure I bought the "corn" cornflour! This one was an impulse buy when I saw my supermarket had stocked up on some organic grains, however it is made in NZ. For an Aussie brand, see http://www.fourleafmilling.com.au/products.php. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a good option, and they have quite a good range of flours too. Problem is it can be expensive to order large quantities of flour, best if you can find a local source...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...