Skip to main content

Its our wedding anniversary!

Today is our third wedding anniversary.


I did a series of posts about our wedding, and I'm glad I did, because the memory is fading. I consider that we had a simple wedding, it was certainly cheap and not very flash. We enjoyed the day and spending time with family and friends. I wrote these posts to help people realise that they don't have to follow the normal commercial wedding, and its easy to do something different and simple if you want to and you don't have to spend a fortune (save it for the honeymoon).

A simple wedding in several parts - location, guest list and invitations, accommodation

A simple wedding part 2 - the dress and flowers

A simple wedding part 3 - the ceremony

A simple wedding part 4 - the reception

We are continuing the tradition of not going on a honeymoon or doing much for our anniversary because we have too many animals :) This year we are just having a simple dinner at home together on the veranda, looking out over all those animals (and eating the good things that they give us that totally makes it worth keeping them :) )

Tell me about your simple wedding ideas.....

Comments

  1. We kept our's very simple too, total cost was $54.00 - and I do mean total. I haven't forgotten the details - even though the only photos we got were some quick snaps my Mother took. We had a short trip to the mountains - 2 days - because we had to get back to the farm - but it stuck - we celebrated 41 years in April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you both. Simple is what we chose too 20 plus years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We kept our wedding simple and took the ferry across the James to a bed and breakfast. A little past our first anniversary we had a baby girl so we really needed all the money that we didn't spend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary. Hope you many many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were married in Rabaul.Papua New Guinea in 1974.I was teaching at a church adult education college,my hubby was a plumber with a church building firm.My housemate made my simple long dress with some pretty white/blue fabric I had taken with me to make day dresses! My veil was a length of fine mosquito netting on a pretty clip.A couple of Papua New Guineans were our best man and bridesmaid and the students put on a traditional feast for us as the reception.Our Mums in their seventies came out from England and Oz and so we had to take them on our few days honeymoon!!!! We had a shack on the beach and they had a shack further along the beach but we had to look after them.I have a great photo of them having a ride in a local dug out canoe!!! So our wedding was very different , very cheap indeed and very memorable .........almost forty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to you and to me. Its our 20th anniversary today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats - hope it was a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weddings can be lots of fun and very inexpensive. Ours was 28 years ago.

    Timing: 1st day of Spring 11 am
    Location: Friends remote small property at the head waters of the Manning river
    Foliage: Peach blossoms everywhere
    Guests: Could drive there for the day or camp overnight
    Bride: Dressed in the two room ancient slab hut
    Brides Dress: All lace and worth every cent
    Groom: Dressed in the hay shed
    Grooms Outfit: Appropriate for the mid 1980's
    Weather: Thunder storm 30 minutes before the ceremony cleared to sunny skies
    Ceremony: Under a 100 year old Walnut tree
    Photographers: Two keen friends supplied with film
    Reception: In the open sided machinery shed
    Food: Pig (ex friends) and Lamb (ex butcher) on hired spit roasts and lots of salads
    Drinks: Supplied by bride and groom
    Problem: Beer, wine and food leftover
    Solution: Property owner telephoned all the surrounding neighbours at 5pm and we had a second reception lasting until late at night
    Honeymoon: two weeks driving an old van with a mattress all over northern NSW looking at the countryside

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary you guys!!! Time flies hey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary! We are coming up to 8 years...boy time flies! Our wedding was anything but simple, though we do keep our anniversaries pretty basic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looked a great wedding! Ours wasn't super low budget but it was well within what we could afford at the time. we both knew so many people it turned into quite a big wedding but everthing was kept simple (there was quite a few tractors about on the day as well which is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the comments everyone! and thanks for sharing your own stories, they make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...