Skip to main content

Garden Share - February 2015

January has been another good month for rain, with summer doing just about what its supposed to do here, and producing plenty of summer storms, we got around 100 mm for the month.  We've had some very hot days, like last summer, but with the rain, this results in everything growing really well (instead of just withering!).


With the rain has come BEANS!  I currently have four types of beans growing, eight purple bush beans, two climbing purple kings, one yellow butter bean bush, and one snake bean.  I'm particularly excited about the snake bean as I haven't grown them before and it got off to a very slow start.  The snake beans are long and thin, and rounder than the other beans.  They are supposed to be more suited to the tropical climate.

the snake bean

snake bean foliage

The choko vine has finally started flowering, so we should have chokos soon.  I'm still waiting for the rosellas to flower.  In the meantime we have plenty of button squash.  The carrots that I planted in winter have started to grow now, and there is always kale and silverbeet.  The herbs seem quite happy in the sunken garden and the turmeric has popped up (forgot I put it there!).  As has the sweet potato patch, and the potato area where I plant any that sprout in the cupboard, is looking good too.  The occasional cucumber for fermenting, and the occasional strawberry for eating immediately.

choko flower

sweet potato

This month I should probably start thinking about planting things for winter, but my garden kind of looks after that itself as all the seeds start popping up, I see broccoli, parsley and chervil appearing already!  I will sprinkle some others out later in February just to be sure.


How was your January?  Did you get some rain?  What are you plans for February?

Join in the Garden Share Collective, link up here and link back to Lizzie at Strayed from the Table.




Comments

  1. We're just up the road from you in Hervey Bay. We didn't get the rain you got and my poor old garden ended up being given a break. Looking forward to the end of March when I can plant out the garden and not see it wither away in the heat. I love snake beans. Just don't leave them on the vine too long or they get very woody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean Jane, it gets easier when the weather cools down!

      Delete
  2. your garden is looking good Liz, and glad you are getting the rain. We have not got what we normally get and it is so hot and humid that the garden is struggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some soon Gill, its hard work keeping everything going otherwise :(

      Delete
  3. So glad you took the shot of the choko flower, I have never seen one. How long do they need to grow for before they start producing? Mine has been in the ground for about 3 months now and is growing slowly but steadily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, that one has been growing since last year, and it produced last season as well. I can't figure out what makes it start to fruit, seems like it grows vigorously for ages and then suddenly there are fruit, maybe temperature, moisture or day length! Age doesn't seem to matter though, so if you get the other mystery factors right, you should get chokos! Sorry, I'm not much help, I just plant things and see what happens....

      Delete
  4. Everything is looking fabulous! The choko flowers are beautiful. My purple beans are doing well this year also although we have less plants than you do. I will plant more next year I think. I love that your next season plants are sprouting already! Have a great month. I look forward to next months update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for beans, they look great and how fabulous are snake beans - they can be really prolific and I love their flavour. I am surprised that you have broccoli coming through already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely garden pictures Liz. Do you find that ants like to crawl on the snake bean? They don't seem to do any damage but I always find them on my plants.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...