Skip to main content

Knitting - some people make it look so easy!

My grannie used to knit all the time.  She used to make us grandchildren embarrassing home-knitted jerseys, which I did not appreciate at the time, but when I was a little older I actually asked her to knit one for me because the house I was living in while attending uni in Palmerston North was absolutely freezing!  My mum also used to knit occasionally, I do remember that she spent hours knitting mittens for me and a smaller pair for my little brother in preparation for a trip to the snow.  On the first day up the mountain both pairs got saturated and were hung to dry in the drying room at the lodge.  The next day my pair fitted my brother and his pair would have fitted a baby, oops!  At some stage my grannie taught me to knit too.  I can't remember actually finishing a knitting project at the time.

Recently I have been inspired by all the lovely knitting on a few different blogs (here and here and here).  The clothes (and other products!) they are producing don't look "home-made", all chunky and ill-fitting, they are beautiful and stylish.  So I thought maybe I should try to learn to knit and make myself some nice clothes.  I bought some wool from a stall at the farmers market (I think it was stock from a haberdashery that closed down or something, not fresh from the sheep anyway).  I had to search and search among the balls of impostor polyester and nylon to find 4 balls of blue wool, from sheep (some of the impostor "wool" had little cartoon pictures of sheep, which made the process even slower).  And I bought some knitting needles, it came to $10.25, is that too much to pay?  (I have just found new needles online for $10-30! so I think I did ok to get the wool AND needles for that price, tip for beginners- try farmers markets and op shops for your knitting supplies!).  My husband didn't believe that I knew how to knit and thought I was crazy taking so long to find wool.  At that stage, having committed so much money (and reputation), I was really hoping that I did remember.



Well here is my effort.  A headband because my ears always get cold in winter and beanies are never quite long enough (and make my hair messy).  The basic knitting came back to me pretty quickly, my husband was very surprised that I could do it.  Its just knits, I didn't want to confuse the issue with purls (shame, I thought they were pearls until I started reading a knitting website just now).  I want to make beautiful vests and cardigans, but I'm going to have to learn to follow a pattern, and work out what the codes mean.

Does anyone have an easy pattern for me to start with?  What's the next level up from a straight scarf or headband?  I don't want to start something that's too hard for my skill level and get put off completely!  But I need something challenging to keep me interested, and something useful that I'll wear.  I also need some more wool.....any ideas for getting some more nice wool?  Apart from old stock at farmers markets!

Comments

  1. Well done on your knitting. You know I have never knit one of those headbands before but yours look awesome. I really should try one. Look in op shops for hand knitted jumpers - they area bit scarce but you can find them. Just pull them apart and reknit them. The price you paid for the needles and the wool was really quite good - like you said op shops are the way to go especially if you really want to stock up on extra needles. Most times I pay just 50 cents a pair sometimes less.

    My next suggestion for a knitting project would be a beanie - even if it's for hubby. You can either knit it on a circular needle or knit it on straight needles and seam it together. Yell if you need a pattern as I'm sure Mum would have something (I like knitting in the round - I find it faster but Mum hates it). After that fingerless mittens then the worlds your oyster...lol.

    If you want new yarn try the Bendigo Woollen Mills http://www.bendigowoollenmills.com.au. Brilliant service. It's pure wool and there is an amazing range of colours and plys for you to choose from and you are buying straight from the manufacturer.

    Sorry this turned into a book. I'm so excited that you are knitting. It's such a relaxing and rewarding thing to do.

    PS thank you for the lovely words about those of us who knit - We knit for fun and practicality and it's nice to know that what we are doing also looks stylish....well from my point of view anyway...vbg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you. I have tried and given up knitting many times - I think it must be a left brain/right brain thing because I find it endlessly frustrating, but my maths minded mother-in-law is amazing at it.

    I love woollen clothes though and am always requesting her to knit things for the girls. She's amazingly fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Emma, I have tried and given up any number of times. And I know what you mean about Palmerston North. I grew up in New Plymouth and my parents now live in Feilding. I am currently learning to crochet and I am finding it much easier that knitting. One day when I am not working so much i will do it again... but till then I get my MIL to do it for me and she recently knitted me a pair of wooled socks and they are lovely. You need sock wool and 4 or 5 kneedles so let me know if you want the pattern and i will post it to you feebegood@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting's one of those great hobbies to pass the winter nights. I'm not very good (I've managed scarves, a headband and a couple of toques) but a friend of mine is amazing. She can whip up a sweater in a few nights!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...