Skip to main content

Farm update - June 2012

June already!!  I couldn't believe it when I logged in and found 103 followers!  Wow, thanks everyone for showing an interest.  If you've just joined recently, please have a read of the tabs/pages about cattle, chickens etc, if you want to catch up on what we've been doing for the past couple of years.  

Anyway, I finally decided to set up a Facebook page, even though I've been putting it off and thinking that I don't need another gadget to look at!  I do find the occasional link or video that I'd like to share with everyone, but doesn't warrant an entire post, so I'll just be popping interesting things on the Facebook page when I find them, as well as each blog post as its published.  It was easier than I expected actually, and I'll keep working on it to get the most out of it.  If you'd like to have a look at the page its: http://www.facebook.com/EightAcresTheBlog.  Or you can just "like" the page via the widget on the top right of my blog page.  This will mean that anything that I post on the Eight Acres Facebook page will appear on your Facebook homepage so you can keep up with the blog.  The entire blog is also networked to the Facebook page, so you can click back through blog post from the Facebook page.  Let me know what you think!

So back to the update......We've only had one frost, on May 15th and it was very mild, so everything is still growing ok.  We've had a bit of rain on the last couple of weekends of the month, about 10-20 mL, just enough to make the grass a little greener.  I'm looking forward to harvesting some root veges, I already pulled out a few mini carrots when I was thinning them (again!) and they look very promising.

root veges

thinned purple carrots

the brasiccas are still going crazy, and I have been harvesting bok choi etc
by just taking a few leaves at a time from each plant, which seems to work

the self-seeded parsley patch in the front, worm farm move to garden
for better shade and enormous capsicum bush behind that

broad beans so far, I've heard that they're slow, I hope that's all that's wrong!

leeks, also taking forever to grow!

the first lime on my container lime tree

the garden "archway" - could not have achieved this effect if I tried, it is
a combo of poor mans bean plant and cherry tomatoes

can you see the tomato plant popping out the top, wonderful relationship!

paw paws are feeling the cold I think
garden from other side

We have so many chickens, it is quite ridiculous, especially when we only get 1-2 eggs per day from 9 hens, all at various stages of moulting.  We built another chicken tractor, post coming soon, to house all the growing chicks, should have lots of roosters to eat and lovely laying hens come spring.


Bella is dried up now, it was easier than we expected, but I miss the milk already, will explain more in coming post.  Now does she look pregnant?  She should have the calf in mid September.  Hard to tell if she is just fat.




The kelpies were scratching constantly with fleas (ch ch ch), so I finally gave in and bathed both of them, even though Pat Coleby reckons that its natural to leave them unbathed (I wonder if its also natural for them to have fleas too, but they seem irritated with all the scratching).  I was most gratified to see dead fleas floating in the bath water (as well as all that dirt) and were lovely and shiny and clean for about 10 minutes until they found something to roll in!  Anyway, a drop of eucalyptus oil on each dog and lots of diatomaceous earth on their outside beds and here's hoping that regular baths will keep the fleas away, because I'm determined not to use chemicals.  More on natural flea control here.

doggy bath water - never clean the bathroom before bathing the dogs!


blissfully unaware that bath-time is to be a regular occurrence again

Finally, we picked some lemons from one of our new neighbour's trees.  I would never normally climb through fences, but this tree is on its own in the middle of a paddock next to our new place, and its about 100 years old (the original house stumps are nearby - house burnt down long ago), never pruned or fertilised (apart from cattle using it for shelter and pooing all around it), ungrafted, and it is COVERED in the most beautiful lemons.  We took a shirt-full and when I squeezed them they are bright yellow, and sweet enough to drink half a lemon in water.  I now need to find that neighbour's house and go and ask if I can take some more, they are so delicious!

how's that for lemon juice?

Comments

  1. Wow, your garden looks very productive. We have also been busy reclaiming our garden, the weather is just perfect for it.

    We use lime around the dog beds for fleas. The book you mentioned is well worth the money, a must have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was been told by the breeder we bought Missy from that lavender oil repels fleas. Don't know if it works or not, but the thought of two tough kelpies smelling like lavender would be a bit of a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, this is all looking amazing. You have certainly been extremely busy.
    I would love to have seen the dogs get a bath.
    I was just reading about diatomaceous earth this week for keeping flies away now we have the chickens.
    I am looking forward to reading more of your garden and animal updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not surprised by all your followers. There's always plenty happening on your blog! I wish I lived closer because I would love to go for a wander around your garden. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone. The kelpies have had ANOTHER bath and still fleas, urgh! Farmer Pete has promised one more chance before we have to use flea chemicals, so back in the bath. Have tried lavender Missy, they aren't so tough :) and also tried lime and DE around the dog's beds. Also tried same on chickens and some now have lice, these insects are impossible!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...