Skip to main content

Pete's stainless steel soap moulds

Since I wanted to start making soap I thought I'd better get some moulds.  You can buy plenty of fancy moulds online, but I just wanted something simple and the right shape for our soap shaker.  I went to th op-shop and checked out various containers, I did find a little silicon mould which is good for the overflow, but the plastic lunchbox I bought didn't let the soap out and we had to cut it off.  Pete decided to make something, and this is what he came up with....

Its a piece of stainless steel plate folded up in a "U" shape, with steel plates help in place with booker rod and nuts.  I made gaskets from a truck inner tube to seal the ends.  When the soap is set, you just undo the bolts and the soap slides out of the mould.

Do you have any creative alternative soap moulds?


eight acres: stainless steel soap molds



this is the mess I made

And the final product, one bath soap one wash soap

Pete cuts it with a pizza cutter!


You can get all my tallow soap recipes in my eBook Make Your Own Natural Soap, more information here.

 Would you like to try making your own soap from natural ingredients, but don’t know where to start? 
This eBook will take you through everything you need to know to make simple soaps from natural ingredients, including herbs, clays, charcoal, oatmeal and coffee grounds.

It also explains how to use tallow in soap. Tallow is cheap and locally available, and it makes long-lasting moisturising soaps, it is an under-utilised ingredient in home soapmaking in my opinion. This eBook includes 10 recipes specifically designed for tallow soap.

Basic Tallow Soap
Pink Clay Soap
Green Herb Soap
True Grit Soap
Black Magic Soap
Salt Spa Soap
Honey and Oatmeal Soap
Neem Oil Soap
Sustainable Shaving soap
Cleaning Soap
Formulate your own



Comments

  1. Any hints on where to get a soap shaker? I haven't been able to find one, other than a silly little thing someone is selling on TradeMe here in NZ that only holds a tiny round soap - which means chopping up bars of soap - made out of tea strainers! I want the old fashioned square sort that hold a bar of Sunlight Soap.

    Love the look of your moulds - maybe one day I'll get into soap making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine from. http://www.selfsufficiencystore.com/store/soap-shakers/soap-shakers
      Expensive, but very good quality and supports a small business.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. I've just made my first batch of soap 2 weeks ago. You can read about it on www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well done! I'm sure it will be a first of many.....

      Delete
  3. Okay, so I found one on a website that has been 'out of stock' for about a year and a half! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome moulds :) Soapmaking is something I keep thinking about doing,and then set it aside for another day. I do love the look of everyone elses soaps though - I guess one day I will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, please tell Pete that they are awesome soap moulds.

    I make mine out of plywood and when I teach soap making, each student gets to take one home as part of the course fee.

    You can see them here at this post titled Making My Soap Box.

    Gav x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gavin, your's are probably bit easier for non-metalworkers to make!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow!! I love them! What a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! If he wants to make more, I think you would have some keen buyers - me for a start!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, unfortunately, like most things Pete makes, it is too heavy to post....

      Delete
  8. Looks great! I've been pouring mine into little individual silicon moulds, but they always go funny on the top. I really need to try it in a log.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great moulds. I love that you can take them apart for easy removal of the soap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...