Skip to main content

A garden book and a cook book that I think you'll enjoy too

When you start thinking about how to live sustainability and self-sufficiently, you realise that it changes everything.  Instead of just buying things, I think about whether we really need the item, whether we could use something else, or make something, and then if we do NEED it, can we get it second-hand or locally made?  Instead of thinking of what I want to eat for dinner and going shopping for the ingredients, I now look in the garden, the freezer and the pantry and decide (usually in consultation with Pete) what to cook over the next few days.  This means that I don't tend to use cook books.  I also find many vegetable gardening books just don't quite get into the detail I need about how much to plant and how to use the produce.  Here are two books that I have enjoyed recently, that I think you will like too, both of them are about how to eat sustainably, whether you grow your own or buy from farmers.


(Both books were supplied to me as ebooks to review through Netgalley, if you are a blogger who likes to read and review books, you should check it out)

Grow a Sustainable Diet: Planning and Growing to Feed Ourselves and the Earth
By Cindy Connor of Home Place Earth blog

Cindy covers so many important topics in this book, starting with what we eat (this may have to change if you want to grow everything you eat!), how to decide what to plant and how much you will need and when it will be ready to harvest, how to improve the soil using cover crops and compost, companion planting, seed saving, storing and preserving food, and even thinking about how to grow enough to feed animals too.  This book is the culmination of years of gardening and teaching a sustainable gardening course, as well as writing her blog.  I really enjoyed reading Cindy's thoughts and her approach.  Not everything is directly useful to me, as she lives in a different climate, but the philosophy certainly applies.  If you are interested in growing enough to feed your family, this book will get you started thinking in the right direction.


The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
By Jennifer McGruther of Nourished Kitchen blog

Even though I don't usually refer to cook books, I enjoyed this one.  The recipes feature real foods, like grass fed meat, free-range eggs, raw and fermented dairy, fermented vegetables, stocks made from real bones, lots of vegetables and everything made from scratch from fresh or preserved ingredients.  Each chapter has a lengthy introduction explaining the foods in the chapter.  Jennifer explains more than just how to cook, she goes into great detail about her philosophy for sourcing locally grown ethical food, even explaining how vealer calves are an integral part of a small dairy business.  I was really impressed.  As we grow so much of our own food and know farmers to buy the rest from, I don't need this information myself, but its exactly what I would like all my city friends to know about sourcing their food.  Like the first book, even though Jennifer lives in a rather unique location (a small mountain town), her approach to making food decisions is widely applicable.  The funny thing is that I didn't see many recipes that I want to use exactly as written, because I have access to different foods and wouldn't use the same combinations, but I do want to try her mayonnaise recipe next time I have excess eggs, maybe I will finally get it to work!  And I got plenty of other ideas to try with different ingredients.



Have you read any good books lately?  What's your biggest challenge to eating sustainable food? (Ours is feeding the chickens from our property, I have lots of ideas, but not time to implement them!)

Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
From the Farm Blog Hop
Homestead Barn Hop
The HomeAcre Hop

Comments

  1. These sound like great books. Just to let you know I have nominated you for a blogging award in tomorrows post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...