Skip to main content

How to sprout - Fenugreek

Last week I wrote about sprouting chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and other beans for added protein. My other favourite sprouts are fenugreek and alfalfa, which I use to add green veges to meals if the garden isn’t producing enough.

the sprouts ready to eat
The green sprouts take longer than the beans because you need to wait for the green leaves to appear, but the process is the same. Although you don’t have to soak the smaller seeds for as long, it doesn’t matter if you do (I find 12 hours is a pretty convenient time period between other things that I’m doing, like working or sleeping).

I only put a few tablespoons in the jar and watched as the tails (roots) appear, followed by the leaves, until they are about 3-4cm long sprouts. I am always amazed by the increase in size, it seems like every time I remove some sprouts from the jar to eat them, the jar is full again by the next day! It takes several days of regular sprout eating to empty the jar. This is a good thing if you have many sprout eaters to feed, but I can get really getting sick of it (and sneaking them onto Pete’s plate too, he is very tolerant of my weird food ways now). So let this be a warning to you, don’t put too many seeds in the jar!















see how they filled the jar!!
The other lesson I’ve learnt about sprouting is that you may just get a bad batch of old seeds that will not sprout. My first attempt at fenugreek did not sprout and I didn’t know what was wrong until a friend gave me some of her seeds and they sprouted perfectly. It turned out not to be anything I was doing wrong. Just something to keep in mind if your sprouts aren’t sprouting.

I have also tried sprouting mung beans for green sprouts, but I find that they don’t ALL sprout (or from the 5kg bag I have, that is the case), so you end up with unsprouted hard beans in your sprouts and if you don’t pick them out very carefully, it can be rather unpleasant to bite down on a hard mung bean in your salad!  Possibly this isn't a problem with all mung beans, but right now I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the 5kg....

What do you sprout?  Any tips?

Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
From the Farm Blog Hop
Homestead Barn Hop
The HomeAcre Hop

Comments

  1. I am also loving sprouting and microgreens right now. I found that fenugreek required the most amount of rinsing for some reason. If your mung beans dont sprout you can use them instead of lentils to make dahl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Fenugreek! It's a legume I was surprised to discover. It also has a gelatinous part to it, a bit like Linseed but not as severe. That's why it takes a lot of rinsing. No doubt there's a proper word for that jelly-like goop!
    Mung Beans are a right pain. All those green testas (seed coats). No they don't all sprout at once but neither do any other seeds. Although with some effort you can rinse off most of the testas on Alfalfa (Lucerne), rinsing off the Mung Bean ones is at best tricky.
    Simplest solution I have found is to micro-green them rather than just sprout them. As sprouts, you are mainly eating the radicle (young root) and stem. As micro-greens you eat the stem and leaves with bonus chlorophyll.
    You could make dhal I guess but you've still got to rinse off those testas. Lentils for sprouting (as all seeds for sprouting) need their testas but the Lentil ones are quite soft and no problem at all.
    One good reason to micro-green Sunflower and Buckwheat is the testas are very tough but then they are fairly easily picked off on harvest. Or if you leave the microgreens long enough, the testas pop off of their own accord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...