Skip to main content

Pollinators for your vegetable garden


A friend asked me what was the best way to attract pollinators to her garden.  She was thinking about getting a honey bee hive or maybe just attracting native bees.



Firstly I have to say I was surprised how much difference it made to my garden after we moved a couple of beehives right next to it.  Suddenly I had capsicums and pumpkins growing where I never had success before.  Thinking back, I hardly ever saw honey bees in my garden, which means we don't have any wild hives or beekeepers close to us.  I did used to see all sorts of other pollinators, but they must not be as efficient or as suited to vegetable pollination.  

These are your options for improving pollination in your garden:

1) find a beekeeper who needs somewhere to put hives, honestly you should not have to pay for this, someone will appreciate having somewhere to put them (we are always looking for good places to put our bees, particularly if you have lots of trees or other sources of nectar nearby), but you will need to be ok with them visiting every few weeks in spring/summer to check the hive. And they might give you some honey.



2) native bee/wasp hotel - this is for solitary bees and wasps (they just lay a few eggs in holes in wood and the new insects hatch and forage near the hotel, providing both pollination and pest control as some of them eat caterpillars too) and it does help to attract pollinators if you give them somewhere to live.



3) native stingless bee hive - there are three species of Australian native bees that build colonies like honeybees.  They prefer warmer temperatures, so you'll only find them in Queensland and northern NSW as far as I know. They have a queen (or several) and live in hollow logs etc. They don't fly very far, so if you've seen these in your garden then you already have a wild hive nearby. You can buy hives at around $200-300 for a tiny box of bees.




If you don't want your own honey beehive, then I think the cheapest and most effective option is to make habitat for wild pollinators that you don't have to look after or pay for. As long as you provide lots of flowers all year for them to feed on, shallow water sources, habitat (bee hotel, hollow logs, trees etc), no spraying of chemicals, they should come into your garden naturally. The options above will boost numbers if you feel that you still don't have enough pollinators.

What do you think?  How do you attract pollinators to your garden?






Comments

  1. Liz we have so many bees buzzing around the garden. There seems to be certain flowers they are especially attracted to and they go crazy for the flowers of palm trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never had too much trouble attracting bees with the vegetables that we grow in our garden every year, but we've added a row or two of buckwheat throughout the garden and they LOVE it! Well worth the expense, and you can save the seeds and grow again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get very excited to see the bees. They are just starting to show themselves now, after such super wet winter and early spring. I have lots of flowers, like lavender, calendulas, yarrow, all sorts that bees love. I haven't made a bee hotel yet, but am thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have lots of flowering plants that attract bees. The previous owners planted lots of natives which they seem to love! Our native rosemary bushes next to the vegie patch are alive with bees and I have lavenders, calendula and other flowers among the veggies too. Next step is to make a bee hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think having flowers either in or near your veggie patch is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have two large hives and where once I was wary of them now I plan my gardens FOR them. Lots of flowers and bird baths with pebble sin them for bees to drink safely. We also mow very little, only a small area where we eat outside, the rest of our "yard" is pasture or native grasses grown wild. Nature is messy and we have learned to live within it rather than always trying to tame it like so many other American farmers insist on doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stopped mowing the lawn and let all the clover flower....bees everywhere! Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Donna. I was walking down the lower gully just yesterday with plenty of overgrown areas. I thought the blowflies were bad this year, for how loud their buzzing was. But I also knew we didn't have a lot of livestock (only chickens) and none were located down in the gully.

    Observing a little more however, I noticed they were native bumble bees and all kinds of wasps, flying low to the ground. Some weeds had gone to seed, attracting some, there was plenty of newly felled, damp wood on the ground, attracting others (bee hotel) and some even nest in soft soil. I've noticed one particular variety (The teddy bear bee) does this. Technically we don't have native bumble bees in Australia, but they sound an awful lot, like them and are quite sizeable. Hence, the comparison.

    So along with all the recommendations already made, I would add the necessity to allow the landscape to remain fallow, with as little disturbance as possible. Mow your pathways, and leave the rest to nature. When any of your trees and shrubs lose branches, place them on the ground in your garden beds. It will mulch your garden and provide a place for native bees to set up house.

    I was AMAZED how thick the native bees were, and so loud, I thought I had a horde of blowflies. That part of our garden, we touch the least though. No fancy flowering plants. Just the regular weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a bee hotel this year and had to expand to two so many were interested. I've also learned there are several fly varieties and even my dreaded yellow jackets provide some pollination duties. Bumblebees come early for us and they help as well. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...