Skip to main content

Dump shop finds

When we took our old BBQ to the dump I had a an opportunity for a quick look through the dump shop.  (I should also point out that the only reason we didn't put the BBQ on freecycle is that we took off the wheels and the hot plate for upcycling, and the burners were very rusty, so it was better off as scrap).  The dump shop is even cheaper than op shops and you can find some really unexpected things there.

I was incredibly excited to find the 1980s Australian Trivial Pursuit game with ALL THE PIECES AND CARDS!!!!   I have wanted a copy of this for ages, yay!  We have an old monopoly game from the markets, but that game just gets so boring it makes us fight, and we've had to resort to playing cards lately.  This should provide hours of fun.


I also found a couple of books, one about travelling in the Northern Territory and one about resources in Queensland.  I got all of this for $5.  Bargain! 


Do you use a local dump shop?  Or do you think I'm gross? :)

Comments

  1. Cool, I love having board games, we have a few from op shops and presents. I'd like all the classics, like Trivial Pursuit & Scrabble, for power outages and family fun! My husband just bought a pack of Uno too... will see how the kids handle that tomorrow.

    I took the kids op shopping today, I usually try to go by myself, but we all know that even though it is cheap, we don't need unnecessary 'stuff'! We have bought from tip shops & other recycling places before... so I don't think your gross. More & more of it will take place in the future... we will just have awesome scavenger & bargaining skills already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great finds. I went to the Lifeline Book fest in Brisbane last weekend with my best friend and they have puzels and board games there that are second hand. I managed to get a unused Majong set for my best friend (without her knowing) for $15 normally they are over $60 for a average one so it was a score. Nothing gross about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally not gross.

    If it's board games your after, I can recommend a few that are AWESOME fun for two or more players.

    Settlers of Catan
    San Juan
    Ticket to Ride (USA version)
    Monopoly Deal (the card game - its cheap and WAY better than the board game.)
    Stone Age

    I love board games. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my local dump shop. I've gotten bits of guttering, lengths of timber, doors, windows, corrugated iron, dog kennels, car ramps, and all sorts of other useful stuff there. Pretty much every time, the guy looks at whatever I'm holding and says "5 bucks". So I've learned to pick up a few things each time, instead of just getting one thing :-).

    When my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas, I asked for a gift certificate for the dump shop. Unfortunately they don't sell them :-).

    My wife hates it when I have to take a trailer-load of stuff to the dump, because she knows I then have a lot of carrying capacity to bring stuff back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, forgot to mention - I've heard a lot of good things about a board game called Agricola. I've been trying to find it for ages, but it's very expensive new and I can't find it second hand. Maybe keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recommendations everyone! Glad to hear you're all using dump shops, op shops and charity sales!

    Darren, I nearly got run over by the bulldozer at the dump when I was trying to "rescue" perfectly good scrap metal. We often come home with as much stuff from the dump as we took there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...