At Cheslyn Rise we had about 25 Braford cows and a bull, but we sold them due to the drought. One day we'd like to sell beef directly to the public.
I have written an eBook about Our Experience with House Cows, find out more here. I recommended a few other books in my book store as well.
General cattle care:
Cows and milking:
- We got started with a lovely book called The Healthy House Cow (Marja Fitzgerald) which covers everything you need to know about keeping a cow, although a little out of date now, from the 80s, I just love the tone of the book, and the great care that Marja has for her animals.
- We bought a mini milking machine
- and we work hard to prevent mastitis infection
- Bella's artificial insemination (AI) experience
- Raw milk - I never knew it was so controversial, but I now have my own conspiracy theories...with more details here
- I have two cheese making books AND I borrowed another from my neighbour, as well as some recipes in the Healthy House Cow (which gave me the courage to use raw milk, rather than the other books that stress the need to pasteurise).
- Home Cheesemaking (Neil and Carole Willman)
- Cutting the Curd, Cheese Making at Home (Katherine Mowbray)
- I prefer to make soft cheese, yoghurt and kefir