Skip to main content

Enjoying summer salads

I planted lots of lettuce, so we've been having lots of salads this summer, (otherwise I'd have to feed it ALL to the chickens :)  They know when I'm picking it and all hang around the garden waiting for their share).

too much lettuce...
...and rocket

Nourishing Traditions features a total of 45 salad recipes. This seems totally unnecessary to me, seriously, how hard is it to mix up raw vegetables!?  It doesn't really matter what combinations you use, its all going to taste lovely and fresh.  I just pick whatever is growing in the garden and mix it up on our dinner plates.  Lately I've been using lettuce, rocket, mizuna, a little basil and garlic chives, mini capsicums, baby tomatoes, chopped up beans and peas and sliced zucchini or squash, and some sprouts. If we've bought carrots or corn, I add these too (just cut the kernels from the cob, sweet and juicy yumminess), and in the past we've also added beetroot and radish.  We usually use a balsamic salad dressing, just 3 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic, this adds a little flavour and lots of good enzymes and fats to the meal.

Salad recipe: chop up lots of vegetables :)
We eat the salad with either steak, sausages, rissoles, pork chops or roast meat.  I really enjoy a cool salad on a hot summer night, especially if we don't need to do any inside cooking!

salad with pork chop (and sauerkraut) and potatoes cooked on the Weber BBQ
Do you make salads?  Any unusual combinations that you enjoy?

Comments

  1. I love salad... that is one food I crave if I haven't had it for a while! I love interesting salads with lots of stuff in them. Mayonnaise is one thing I am wanting to learn this year, and just bought a fangle-dangle food processor yesterday, so nothing stopping me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I narrowed it down to the Kenwood Multi Pro Excel (FP980) due to it's wattage, variable speed settings, and multi bowls. It was hard to find that model in the shops, but when we found it yesterday in David Jones & there was 15% off, had to go for it. It costs $699, but we got it for $594. It is pricey, but a long term investment, and way cheaper than a TMX!

    (Of course, I did up a spreadsheet comparing all the options, but then dumped off the low wattage ones from the list, I need power! The other one in the running was the Breville Kitchen Wizz Pro, which had big wattage, good price & long warranties, but only On/Off/Pulse. The Cuisinart & Magimix seemed overpriced for what you got?? The Kitchenaid Food Processor didn't have enough wattage.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...