Skip to main content

Three simple ideas: Use less resources

A simple life, not to be confused with an easy life, is defined on Wikipedia as follows:
Simple living encompasses a number of different voluntary practices to simplify one's lifestyle. These may include reducing one's possessions, generally referred to as Minimalism, or increasing self-sufficiency, for example. Simple living may be characterized by individuals being satisfied with what they have rather than want.
Last year I shared a series of posts about simple ideas for living a simple life, and I have one left to finish it off.  Here's what I posted already:

Three simple ideas - Saving money on groceries
Three simple ideas - Learning basic skills
Three simple ideas - Eating local and seasonal
Three simple ideas - Cooking from scratch
Three simple ideas - Growing your own food


Simple: consciously reduce plastic consumption
The first step is to be aware of just how much plastic you consume.  Plastic Free July is an excellent way to do this, buy collecting all your plastic waste for a month, you will be amazed at the amount you have acculuated, but you also see where you can make a difference.  The easiest way is to avoid buying products wrapped in plastic where-ever possible and creatively reuse plastic that does come into your life.



Simpler: easy energy saving in the home
Turn off lights when not in use.  Close doors, windows and curtains at night to conserve heat in winter and cold air in summer. Air dry clothes rather than using an electric clothes drier.  Turn off "stand-by" power on items like printers, DVD players, microwaves etc.  Gavin ran "The Great kW Challenge" a few years ago now and his tips for monitoring and reducing your electricity consumption are still relevant, and you can run the challenge yourself just to see how low you can go.



Simplest: take green bags or homemade bags to the supermarket (or farmers market)
The easiest change you can make is to switch to reusable bags.  Take them EVERYWHERE with you, and make a point of refusing plastic bags, once you get into the habit it is easy.  Read this hilarious post from Fiona for inspiration, and the video below from Linda, who is also passionate about reusable bags.


(go and put them in your car or bag now so you don't forget!!!)

What do you think?  Any other suggestions for reducing resource consumption?  How do you live a simple life?









Comments

  1. I struggle to remember my bags. They're always in the car, but I almost never remember to bring them in the store. Thanks for posting. Hello from Farmgirl Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...