|real food rum balls|
I started with this recipe, and I also made some traditional rum balls so I could compare. After three batches, I had the consistency right and I preferred the taste. My recipe for real food rum balls:
- Chop 2 cups of dried dates and leave to soak for about half an hour. Drain the liquid and retain. Puree the dates to form a paste.
- Use a blender or grinder to chop nuts - I used almonds and some "coconut crunch", to make 2 cups.
- Combine the nuts with the date paste and 2 Tsp of cocoa powder. Mix up and add the date liquid and a Tsp of coconut oil until the texture feels right. Also add the sultanas depending how much you like them, I used about a cup and a few tsp of rum depending on how much you like rum :)
- When the texture is good for rolling, roll about a tsp of mixture in desiccated coconut (I used shredded and it just doesn't stick properly).
- Put the balls in the fridge to solidify.
I took the batch of traditional rum balls to work and fed them to my work mates. Then I took in the last batch of the real food rum balls. They like both of them. So I think the experiment was a success, I will be making them again next Christmas. What do you think?