Skip to main content

Worm farm compost

Worm farm kits from Biome

Sign up for my weekly email updates here, you will find out more about soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon....

I've been "worm farming" since a friend gave me a small handful of worms from his farm and I set up a worm farm purchased from Aldi.  The worm farm has two trays and a vessel underneath with a tap to catch all the worm juice.  I started with the bottom tray empty and the worms were in the top tray with vege scraps, covered with their blanket and the lid.  At first I didn't need to feed them much, just the occasional lettuce leaf, but they multiplied very quickly, and were soon ready to eat all our vege scraps.  Finally I filled the top tray and swapped the trays, so I had the empty tray at the top again.  When the top tray was full again, I needed to empty the compost from the bottom tray.  

worms!
The compost was beautiful, but full of worms.  There are lots of methods for separating the worms from the compost, most seem to involve shade cloth or a trampoline.  I just scooped out the compost and picked out the worms from each scoop, and put the worms into one container and the compost in another.  Towards the end there were just too many worms, so I left some compost for later.  I also picked out all the mango stones, corn cobs and chunks that hadn't composted yet.  And I crunched up all the eggshells.

the top tray (vege scraps and worms)

Compost in the bottom tray

The compost can be spread on your garden, but I wanted to use it for seed-raising instead.  It was a bit wet, so I let it dry out a little first.

The compost ready to use after I picked out the worms

When I first got the worm farm, I wasn't sure how it would fit into my compost system, but now I have plenty of worms, its working really well.  Here's how I use all our vege scraps and green waste:
  • vege scraps from the kitchen go to the worm farm
  • excess green leafy veges from the garden go to the chickens
  • weeds from the garden go into the compost
This way there is plenty to go around for everyone and I get lots of compost from the normal compost and from the worms.  Its better putting the vege scraps in the worm farm than the compost as I used to find they went a bit smelly and it was hard to get the carbon/nitrogen ratio right.  Fortunately the worms don't worry about these technical details!

There are lots of ways to make worm farms, both small and large, I hope we will make a large one eventually and I can feed the worms to the chickens and the aquaponic fish.

Do you have a worm farm?  How do you get the worms out of the compost?  

Sign up for my weekly email updates here, you will find out more about soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon....

Worm farm kits are available from Biome, click on the banner below:


Worm farm kits from Biome

Comments

  1. I must be a few weeks behind you as i thought i had missed out on the Aldi worm farms only to find one lone unwrapped one under a table about a month later. I grabbed it and we had lots of fun assembling it. I only bought 1200 worms and they appear to be quite slow at breaking down food. Do i have enough worms or just give it time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have a worm farm, but I leave it be.....I tried once to rotate the levels but got in such a mess, I just never did it again...my top tray is just full to the brim with lovely wormies...and I get a large bucket of worm wee from them every few weeks which I use on my vegies...and fruit trees...so, I guess I am not using the castings effectively, but I really dont mind as I use the worm wee more..............I usually put a large amount of vegie peelings etc and that does them for a couple of weeks , in the mean time the chookies get the scraps, and then I will do it all over again.....seems to work well............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you need to dilute the worm wee? It's great to get the inside info before trying things!

      Delete
    2. Yes dilute the work wee to the point it looks like weak tea.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love our worm farm. It's magic. All of it. I knew nothing about worm farming a couple of years ago but I can't imagine being without one now. I think I might be in a position to start a second worm farm - just haven't got around to it yet! I really like the way I harvest my castings: I pile it up on the lid in a sort of mound then scrape away the first layer. As you know the worms quickly disappear, so as you scrape all you get is compost (and I might just have to pick out the odd worm and put it back into the worm farm). And I just keep scraping away until I have enough and until I can't scrape anymore because all the worms are in the last little bit. Does that make sense? Hope so. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post Liz! I always thought I couldn't spare the scraps for worms because I use them for the chooks but sounds like they don't eat much. And you're right I could use garden waste. Atm I put garden waste into a pile that I like to call compost although it's often failing to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have inspired me to try worms again. We did the whole thing when the kids were small but evenutally all the worms died due to a pest invasion - we found out later if you allow the conditions to get too acidic , this can lead to other invaders and also with the children being small they were always lifting the lid to see the worms and that's how the pests got in there.
    I am keen to try the poly pipe in the garden method as it gets so hot here I have to constantly move the worm farm into the shade , whereas this method allows the worms to escape into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our work farm is in the shade and therefore they do no eat all of our kitchen scraps. I find they need to be in a warm but shady area for them to really chew through the food. I have always dried my egg shells in the oven then crushed them up for my worms they seem to get through them quickly this way and there is no chance of smell. Every so often I add some Lime to stop it becoming too acidic. Mine love a good feed of cooked rice or lentils. I am bout to harvest a whole tray of castings and boy am I excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well no I have not got open as yet but the more I read others who have and how great their are I must get one did not realise aldis were selling them what this space as they say

    ReplyDelete
  8. My worm farm is at the bottom of my compost pile in the chicken coop. Poor worms get eaten every so often. :) Thanks for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    Hope to see you again today. :)
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre13.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything you cant put in the work farm? Is it like regular compost that doesnt like meat scraps and cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feed mine pretty much anything, even onions and citrus (not usually recommended) in small amounts, if there is a scrap of meat or cheese I will chuck that in too (although that usually goes to the dogs). You just have to be sensible, but small amounts of different things, mixed in with lots of vege scraps and green weeds, is usually ok once the worm are well established.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg