Skip to main content

Beginner beekeeper: where should I start??

We've had bees for just over two years and it feels like we have learnt so much about bees, but at the same time we are realising that there so much more to know about these amazing creatures.  I was asked a question on one of my Instagram posts:
Where would we start when we decide to have our own bees? So much info out there. We are on 2 acres on the Sunny Coast and have a great bushy spot to keep the hives, just unsure what system etc we start researching? We love our Bee Pollen, is this another process entirely? Thanks :-)



I was not going to try to tap our a reply to that on my smart phone!  As you can see from my post, that is a big question, and perfect for a blog post.  Here's where I think you should start with bees, in no particular order you should do as many of these things as you can BEFORE you get your own bees.

  1. Join a beekeeping club - we joined our local Barambah Bees.
  2. Find a beekeeper (hobby or commercial) who will let you look inside a hive or two a few times (we met a beekeeper through the beekeeping club, and that gave us the confidence to look in our own hives)
  3. Buy yourself a beekeeping suit and gloves (ok maybe do that before you do number 2)
  4. Get EVERY beekeeping book from the library and read them, also watch youtube and read blogs, find out as much as you can (here's post about beekeeping resources)
  5. If you're in South East QLD - Visit the Valley Bees Open Day near Gympie (usually September each year), if you live elsewhere, find a similar event
  6. Buy the rest of the basic equipment that you're going to need - hive tool, bee brush, smoker - and learn how to use them  (here's a post about the equipment you need)
  7. Decide which type of beekeeping system you want to use - Langstroth, Top bar, Warre, Flow hive - depending on the amount of local support you're going to have, how easy/cheap it is to buy equipment and get bees for that system and which one fits your ethos (read more on the resources post above).
  8. Make sure that you're not allergic to bee stings and that you don't hate having bees buzzing all around you (I kind of hate it, but I'm getting used to it, I can hear when they are angry, but Pete doesn't notice it the way I do, possibly because I spent a lot of time learning classical music I can hear the change in pitch of the buzz?)
  9. Make sure that you have a suitable location for your bees, away from neighbours, and enough flora to support them (or plan to feed them when nothing is flowering).
  10. Find out what pests may be a problem in your area and decide how you plan on treating/preventing them and how you will identify them.  (Read more about controlling small hive beetle in our area here)


As for the bee pollen - when you learn how bees use pollen, you may be reluctant to take it from them, they use it to raise new bees, and more bees means more honey and pollination.  

Does that help?  Anyone else what to give some advice about where to start with bees?


Comments

  1. Can I suggest that when you join the beekeeping group or friendly beekeeper, ask to handle the bees with them at least a couple of times before you consider getting your own. Not everyone enjoys it as much as they think they will, even if they love bees. But if you love it, you love it!!
    Gill (45 years a beekeeper)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg