Skip to main content

Plastic rainwater tanks - neutralising drinking water

I realised that the rainwater in our new plastic water tanks was acidic when I wanted to test our garden soil pH and I couldn't get the pH meter to work properly.  I thought it was broken.  I recalibrated it several times, and still it was reading below pH 5 on water from the tap.  After some research, I realised that the pH meter wasn't broken, our rainwater really is that acidic.

the water before treatment
You've probably heard of acid rain.  Rain absorbs gases such as suphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which creates sulphuric, nitric and carbonic acids respectively.  In concrete water tanks, the acid dissolves the lime in the cement and returns the water pH to neutral (7), but that's why concrete tanks usually end up leaking.  Evidently a similar reaction occurs in rusty metal tanks, probably with the iron, as our water used to be pH 7 in the old tanks.  In plastic tanks, there is nothing to react, so the water remains acidic.  We live near a power station, which is a major source of these gases, so our water may be worse than others, although apparently it can be as low as pH 3 in heavily polluted areas.

The main problem with acidic water, is that it can start to dissolve the copper pipework in our hot water system.  To correct the pH, we needed to add some calcium to neutralise the acid.  This is typically in the form of limestone or shells, that can dissolve gradually to correct the pH.  When I posted this on facebook, I was warned about too much calcium causing deposition in our hot water system!  When did rainwater get so complicated?!  Fortunately, we have the pH meter and a conductivity meter (measures dissolved solids), so we can monitor the water and remove the calcium source before it could cause problems.

If you are really worried about calcium deposition, you can use the Langelier Index.  This says that deposition occurs at a pH equal to the equation A+B-C-D, the constants are in the link above.  A is a constant for temperature (around 2), B depends on total dissolved solids (TDS is 0 in rainwater, so B=9.7), C and D are also the minimum of 1 for rainwater.  That gives me an answer of pH 10.  So as long as we keep the water below pH 10 we won't have calcium deposition.  This did make me realise that we need to be able to remove the limestone when the pH is just above 7, so it doesn't keep creeping up.

It took me a little while to find limestone.  Eventually I went to the local landscape supplies centre and asked for a few scoops of "white rock" which I was pretty sure was limstone.  To check if I bought the right rock, first I sprayed a rock with vinegar, and it bubbled, probably limestone.  Then I put a bag of the stones in a bucket of our water and tested the pH before and after 24 hours.  The pH changed from 4.9 to 9.7.  So I was pretty convinced that I had limestone.  You can use these tests to check if you can't be sure what you're buying.

"white rock" from landscape supplies
the rock fizzed when I sprayed it with vinegar

The water pH increased quickly after I added some limestone
I then put some stones in onion bags, tied them up with bailing twine.  Pete helped me to hang one in each tank.  Pete then tested the pH of the water each day and watched it gradually increase.  We agreed that we would remove the bags when the pH reached 7, as there was no reason to let it increase any further.  Three weeks later, the pH is gradually increasing, but still not quite 7 yet.  When we get there, we plant to put the bags in the strainer so that the rainwater washes over the limestone as it runs into the tanks.  We will continue to test pH after big rain events and put the bags back in the tanks if it gets low again.

Do you collect rainwater?  Ever thought to test the pH? 

Comments

  1. This is really interesting. We have to large concrete tanks, both with weeping splits and we would not have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having moved from a hard water area were everything furrs up with limescale deposits to a soft water area were there is very little lime I notice the differance in the taste of water, I havent tested the soil or water here yet havent found my meter, at the moment I am happy to be limescale free. Interesting stuff thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingenius! You've come up with such a simple solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liz, this is a great article. I'm wondering how the setup is going ? Are you still putting lime in the leaf catchers ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow got me thinking to use this idea. Thank you so clever yet simple!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...