Skip to main content

Soil test - did we pass?

A few weeks ago I requested a soil test kit from a soil testing company.  They sent me several plastic zip-lock bags, instructions and a price list.  I chose two areas in our top paddock to sample.  The first was a bare patch and the second had relatively good pasture.  I was hoping that the comparison of the two samples would assist us to improve the many bare patches on our 8 acres.  I sent the two samples away for the 'premium test' and consultant report, at a total of $165/sample.

The bare patch (one of many!)

The stainless steel core-sample tool (made by my husband of course!).

The sample before I put it in the sample bag.

The good growth area

Sampling tool again

The samples ready to send away
We received the results a couple of weeks later.  The results from both samples showed a low pH (5.3) and deficiencies in phosphorous, calcium, copper, boron, iron and manganese.  These are all important minerals for plant growth and animal health.  Fortunately the report lists the treatments that we should use.  The main difference between the two samples was the sand content, the report suggests that the bare patch has more water repelling sand and recommends the addition of calcium and compost to correct this.  We also need to apply lime, copper sulphate, rock phosphate and a few other things to get the balance right.  We will need to source these chemicals in bulk, as we need several tonnes of lime.  At least now we know how to improve, but it will be hard work spreading all these minerals around!

Overall I think that its money well spent as we know what we need to improve pasture and what to feed to the animals in the meantime to keep them healthy.

An example of the test results graph.

The soil treatments required.

The comments about the bare patch sample.

Have you used a soil test to analyse your soil minerals?  Was it helpful?

Comments

  1. Such a great idea to get a soil test. I have visions of your property in 20 years time - it's going to be so lush after all the care you guys have put into it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Making tallow soap

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... For some reason I've always thought that making soap seemed too hard.  For a start the number of ingredients required was confusing and all the safety warnings about using the alkali put me off.  The worst part for me was that most of the ingredients had to be purchased, and some even imported (palm oil and coconut oil), which never seemed very self-sufficient.  I can definitely see the benefits of using homemade soap instead of mass produced soap (that often contains synthetic fragrance, colour, preservatives, and has had the glycerine removed), but it seemed to me that if I was going to buy all the ingredients I may as well just buy the soap and save myself all the hassle.  For the past several years I have bought homemade soap from various market stalls and websites, and that...