Skip to main content

Frozen convenience foods

I have to admit that I used to buy a few items in the frozen isle of my supermarket.  I used to buy chips, battered fish, crumbed chicken breasts, frozen veges, pastry, ice cream, pies, frozen meals etc.  It was so handy to be able to just pull them out and reheat them quickly.  Since I discovered real food, and what is in those processed frozen foods, I don't buy any of that any more, but my freezer is still stuffed full of convenience foods.  By that I mean, food that is convenient to me :)  Here is a photo of our freezer.  It is starting to get empty now in preparation for our next steer getting butchered, so I wanted to share what it usually looks like before it was too late (until recently it was full floor to ceiling!).



In my freezer you will typically find:
  • left over meals so we can grab a quick lunch or dinner, often deliberately or not, we cook far too much and eat the same meal for several days, when we get sick of it we put a few servings in the freezer for later.  Chow mein, bolognaise, casseroles and rissoles freeze really well.
  • left over rice and pasta to go with the meals, I keep these separate because sometimes you have some in the fridge already and just want to pull out the meat part of the meal.  I always cook double rice as its so handy to have in the freezer.
  • soup - also very useful for lunches and dinner, and so much easier to make a large batch than try to make a little bit of soup!
  • left over bread - if we don't finish a loaf in a week the rest goes in the freezer for a week when we run short.
  • extra veges from the garden - cherry tomatoes and beans so far.
  • extra fruit - if we can get cheap strawberries, mangoes or bananas, I put some in the freezer for smoothies before it goes off, Farmer Pete find the smoothies are too cold, but I like them.
  • a bag or two of vege and meat scraps for stock (as explained here).
  • litres and litres of stock, although I use a couple of litres a week, so I do get through it!  Pretty much everything I cook has some stock added.  I freeze it in old butter containers.  As soon as a few clean ones accumulate on the bench I know its time to make more stock!
  • yoghurt and cheese-making bacteria
  • bacon - we buy a big pack and split it into 2-4 slices per bag.
  • wurst - if anyone we know has spare wurst we will happily buy/swap for it and put the extra in the freezer.
  • grated cheese - when we open a homemade cheese I usually just grate the whole thing on the fine side of the grater and put it in a bag in the fridge, then it is used to sprinkle on anything that requires cheese (duck egg frittata, pizza, spaghetti, baked beans.....)
  • MEAT - but that's in the big chest freezer, there's usually most of a steer and various amounts of pork and chicken (and until recently there were turkeys, so glad we've eaten all of them finally!).
We have such a good store of food that we can live for a week out of the freezer if we have to (as we have been doing recently to clean it out in preparation for the next steer).  This is great when my husband occasionally has to work long hours and takes extra food to get him through a 12 hour shift, or if I go away for work and leave Farmer Pete home alone (he can cook, but sometimes he will run out of time with all the farm chores when I'm away), and even if we both come home late from the farm and don't feel like cooking, there is always something to heat up so we don't need takeaway.

We always take something from home for lunch at work, which has to be a huge saving as well as being healthier than our work canteen (options include fry and .... fry).

So what's in your fridge/freezer and what are your convenience foods?  Any tips?

Comments

  1. You do so many of the same things that I do, but one thing I have recently started to do is to slice bread and then freeze it so the whole load does not have to be defrosted. I wish I would get better at labeling - very bad at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amazing woman! I don't usually have much in the freezer simply because if a make a large meal we usually just eat it again the next night. I do freeze stock though. And as for bread!!! If I cook two loaves a day, they eat two loaves a day. A cake is gone on the day it's baked. Maybe I need to get a long stick and train them to make food last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our freezer looks a lot like yours and we too could survive on that alone if needed. I have recently gone a month with no shopping at all and could go for another few if needed.
    We freeze bread and pull out a slice or two as needed.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep similar items to you, and also any nuts and wholemeal flours so they don't go rancid.

    Plus little cubes of basil pesto I made, to pull our for special treats. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad everyone is onto the same idea, and thanks for the extra tips as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...