Skip to main content

Garden Share - January 2015

Happy New Year everyone!  How are your gardens?  Did you get a chance to do some gardening over the Christmas holidays?  I had two weeks at home pottering, and we finally got some rain!




About 100mm altogether, which is very close to our long term average.  The garden did what its supposed to do, and GREW with all the rain.  If the weather did this every year, I think I'd have my sub-tropical spring seed-raising system nearly sorted.  I need to start the seeds as early as possible in a green-house, around late August, so that they are big enough to survive the hot dry months of September and November, and then take off when it rains properly in December and January.  Unfortunately we can't always rely on the rain, so you never know what will make it through to actually producing a harvest.  Last year we were still waiting on decent rain by March!


the garden looking green again

This year I have plenty of purple bush beans.  Does anyone else find bush beans difficult?  I prefer climbers, but they are slower to get started, the bush beans seem to just sprawl and collapse over the ground and its hard to find the beans without breaking off the leaves!  I've also got plenty of button squash, I love these because you can pick them small, before they get blossom-end rot, which is a real problem when its dry (the plants can't get access to enough calcium).  With the wet has come the dreaded powdery mildew.  I know that there's mixtures I could spray on the leaves, but I prefer to just cut off the badly effected leaves and let the plants continue, this seems to work.  I've also picked three pickling cucumbers and started them fermenting already, I hope we get some more because three is a bit lonely in the jar!  Pete loves the pickles, so he's been feeding the cucumber plant with worm wee.


purple bush beans
button squash
pickling cucumbers
The choko vine is massive (regrown from last year, in case you're thinking what's a choko?), but no flowers so far, same goes for the rosellas (what's rosella?).  Lots of "micro greens" have popped up in the garden, mostly broccoli I think, and I've been picking them to weed out to just a few plants.  Also, the chilli bushes are looking very healthy again and I fear that there will be too many chillies again!  There are only so many chilli flakes I can make!

crazy choko vine and some strawberries below

rosella - no flowers yet



self-seeded micro-green goodness

uh-oh more chillies!

And finally, I have an enormous plant that I thought was an eggplant, but now its flowered, I have no idea what it is, any suggestions?






the chickens come running when I go into the garden

How was your December?  Did you get plenty done in the garden?  I am just hoping for more rain and more growing and harvesting in January.

Join in the Garden Share Collective, link up here and link back to Lizzie at Strayed from the Table.



Comments

  1. Hi I do find bush beans difficult, but they are good producers. I prefer the runners, but the bush beans are the first ones to get going! I have just started doing that with my cuc leaves too. I used to spray various concoctions to no avail. Bin the leaves is good! Gosh I don’t know but that plant you were querying looks a bit like an ink weed to me and a very happy one too! Love those chillies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how the garden responds to rain. Yours is looking lovely. Sorry cant help you identify that plant.

    I am hoping for some rain later this week as it is so dry here, my water bill is rising trying to keep things alive!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rain is amazing for giving green things a boost. Wish it didn't work so well on the weeds. I usually provide my bush beans with a bit of support otherwise they just run all over the place and it's hard to find the beans. Happy 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My rosella is flowering for some reason. I have never grown them before and I tried picking a few of the red flowers the other day and they wouldn't budge. Do you cut yours with scissors or should I be waiting a little longer before trying to remove the flowers? Glad to see you had some rain and what a super harvest of button squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,
      yes I cut the rosellas off with scissors. Wait until you have a big juicy calyx though, since that is what you use, that is after the flowers have died off.

      Delete
  5. I also think bush beans are trickier than pole, they are certainly more susceptable to pests in the early stages. Growing them on some kind of support is a good idea, I'll have to try that.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find anything that grows so well and looks so healthy has to be a weed... at least that is the way it goes in my garden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...