Skip to main content

Leibster award - 10 questions

I was recently nominated for a Leibster award Kev at An English Homestead.  This is just a bit of fun between bloggers, and the Leibster awards have changed a little compared to when I last saw them, now they include 10 unique questions to answer.  Kev has asked some good ones, so I'm happy to join in.  The hard part is thinking of my own 10 questions for my nominated bloggers, but more about that at the end of this post.  First I better answer Kev's questions:





1. If you had a big lottery win what would you do with it all?
I would like to say something unselfish here and spend it on something or someone else, but it depends how big the win was!  I would love to buy a property closer to the coast to catch more rainfall and for easier access to the beach.  If I had money leftover I would love to help city children to experience farmlife.


2. How do you think you'd fair in a zombie apocalypse?
I reckon we'd do well.  The self-sufficiency stuff that we're interested in is great for survival prepping as well as being frugal (as I wrote about prepping back here). We are fairly remote on our property (probably wouldn't even know it was a zombie apocalypse) and we have been isolated before (when much of SE QLD flooded in early 2011).  I think we have enough food growing and enough skills to get by.  I also think that community is important, and assuming that our neighbours were not zombies, we would all be able to work together to look after each other (see Permaculture principle "integrate rather than segregate").


3. If you had six months warning do you think you could grow all you needed to feed yourself and your family?
Yes, although we would have to eat differently (eating what we grow).  I wouldn't bother with grains, it would be veges and meat.  I would be looking for sources of protein for the chickens - such as meal worms or compost worms.  We would then have the vegetable garden (which produces year round in the sub-tropics), beef, dairy, chicken and eggs.







4. What's your perfect night in or out?
We prefer to stay home, only because we have so much good food here, there's no point going out to eat the local fried food at the pub!  Dinner with like-minded friends is always nice.  We go to bed pretty early, so lunch is even better.

5.If you had to pick a different career what would you do instead?
I kind of wish I studied to be a vet, it would be so much easier to live and work in a rural area.  

6. What advice would you give your younger self?
To think about where I wanted to live when choosing what to study (instead of just what interested me).

7. What's your most hated food?
Liver.  I have tried really hard to like it, but its just repulsive to me.  Although I can eat it if I make pate (50% butter!) - recipes here.






8. The last thing you really laughed hard at?
I don't know, I laugh all the time, usually at animal antics, having a puppy is pretty funny!

9. Is there a time you've made a massive fool of yourself in public that you laugh about now?
There's probably a few on my blog.  I tend to say (or write) things before I think them through entirely.  Its my way of checking the logic out loud.  Later I will realise that I missed something and I had it all wrong, but its too late.

10. If you had a warning label what would it say?
Warning: known to start multiple projects simultaneously and may not finish them all.


My five nominations
These bloggers have so much to share about growing, cooking, farming and living frugally, I have learnt heaps from all of them, and now I want to ask them ten questions...

Emma from Craving Fresh

Fiona from Life at Arbordale Farm

Ohio Farmgirl from Adventures in the Goodland

Chris from Gully Grove

Leigh from 5 Acres and a Dream



My ten questions
I kept a few of Kev's questions and added a few of my own...


1. If you had a big lottery win what would you do with it all?

2. How do you think you'd fair in a zombie apocalypse?

3. If you had six months warning do you think you could grow all you needed to feed yourself and your family?

4. What life-skill should every child have to learn in school?

5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

6. What advice would you give to someone who wanted to live more self-sufficiently?

7. What's your most hated food?

8. What is your favourite quote/saying?

9. Is there a time you've made a massive fool of yourself in public that you laugh about now?

10. If you had a warning label what would it say?


Thanks Kev for nominating me!  I look forward to reading the answers from my nominees.  What did you think?



Comments

  1. Great answers and good questions for the next lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers. I think I'd be tempted to move where there is more reliable rainfall too. Although, the aridness of the vegetation, could be a natural barrier to refugees on the move from the Zombie Apocalypse. They'd all be going where the grass is greener. ;)

    Thanks for the nomination too. I look forward to answering your questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe! I am much the same with the warning label. Either flat out doing lots of projects or sleeping. Knackered from running around like a chook with my head cut of. ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg