Skip to main content

Garden share - October 2014

We had a little bit more rain in September, about 10mm in a "microburst" that nearly blew over the neighbour's shed and destroyed one of the blinds on our veranda!  But I'm not complaining because everything is still green, only just, but its nice to start spring with some green because the forecast is not great for the next few months.  My vege garden is in transition from winter to spring.  Its still full of greens, but many of them are starting to go to seed.  I'm still harvesting silverbeet, mustard greens, kale, parsley (and various herbs), calendula flowers and celery.  I have leeks and carrots growing very slowly.  And maybe some garlic.

Last month I planted seeds and I had a bit of trouble with them. I wanted to put the seed tray in the mini greenhouse to stay warm, but a mouse dug up my seeds, so I put them inside the house, but then the seed tray dried out. Some seeds sprouted but didn't really grow much, and in the end it just didn’t work out and I had to start again. I also panicked a little bit about not having veges started as early as I would like (I need to get them established before it gets blisteringly hot and dry in my garden), and I bought some bush bean and button squash seedlings, which I split up into small pots and put in the mini greenhouse to get a bit bigger. I also dug up some tomato seedlings that sprouted from the compost and put them in pots. I was getting desperate at that stage!  But then some of my seeds did sprout, so I will have lots of beans and squash and at least one rosella. The problem with buying seedlings is the limited choice, there are so many unusual veges that I would like to grow, so I would prefer to grow from seed (I'm just having to accept that sometimes the timing won't work, and seedlings are a good back-up plan as well!).

This month I want to plant out all those seedlings and pick up lots of manure and waste hay from the paddocks to build up the soil in preparation for another hot dry summer.


the chickens trying to find a way into the garden

lots of overgrown greens and seeds appearing

calendula flowers
dill flowers
chervil flowers - first time I've grown it, looking forward to saving seeds
coriander flowers

seedlings in the greenhouse


How's your garden growing?  What have you got planned for October?


Comments

  1. I've had mice do that to me too (or rather my seeds). I was so upset ... mind you the cat had just used my seed tray as a kitty litter. Oh you wait, you won't need to save that chervil seed - it self seeds everywhere. Thanks for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I love self-seeding (much easier than avoiding mice!)

      Delete
  2. I have finally given up on my brassicas and have fed them to the cow. But everything else is growing well and I have just planted another round of seeds and am preparing a shady area for when it gets really hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some happy healthy looking chooks. You know I had to also go and buy some extra seedlings this month due to things not going as planned (mice) with my trays. I am not sure it was hot enough for some of them and then the others just grew to the size of micro greens and stopped. I guess i need to work on my seedling raising skills some more. You are lucky to have the Nanango Market to get seedlings from there is an organic group who grow from Eden seeds I think. They weren't too bad last time I was there. I too get mine from our local market at Yandina which is mostly a plant market. Lets hope for some rain this october too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all your kale! My kale is just starting to take off. Had to get fresh seedlings this year as my last plants, didn't go to seed because the aphids wrecked them. I still managed to get enough for green juices though :)

    Cheeky chooks! I have been surprised that ours haven't figured out how to get into my garden, and I am dreading the day that they do lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we started with chooks we grew a couple of passionfruit vines just outside the fence of the pen and near where the water was emptied, cleaned and filled, so the plant got regular water, plenty of chook poo and grew like jack's beanstalk ! all over that end of the pen, shade and shelter and lots of fruit, just remember to put some shade cloth between the plant and the pen wire , high enough to prevent the girls digging it out or otherwise harming it until it gets established. It eventually grew over the top wire (fox proof run roof) so the girls were cool during the bad heat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg