Skip to main content

Property fire management plan

Last week we spent a day at a fire management plan workshop organised by our local council in conjunction with the rural fire service.  I wasn't sure what to expect from the workshop.  I knew what I wanted to get out of it - a plan for managing/preventing bushfire on our property.  Considering that about half our 250 acres is covered with very flammable gum tree bushland and we have an old wooden house, this seems like something that we should prepare for.





Interestingly the workshop also covered ways to use fire to manage vegetation on roadsides and properties.  I'm not a huge fan of this, due to not actually wanting to accidentally start a destructive fire, however, by the end of the workshop I was convinced that the occasional, very carefully managed fire in our bushland area could be a good thing for regenerating the vegetation.  Burning of pasture, however, was confirmed to be a pointless exercise.

Fortunately, in preparing for an uncontrolled bushfire, we will also have the tools ready to manage a controlled fire for our own benefit, so it was a really good workshop.  We were shown how to fill out a bushfire survival plan.  And we had a good chat with a rural fire officer who was able to recommend equipment for us to set up a fire-fighting rig for the back of the ute.

When we registered for the workshop, the council took down our details and on the day they had prepared aerial maps and vegetation maps to help us work out our plans for using fire on our property.  They helped us to interpret what vegetation was on our property and how often it could or should be burnt.  Some Australian vegetation actually requires fire to regenerate, and ecologists have found that plant and animal species can die out in an area that has not been burnt frequently enough.

We then market up our map into zones - Asset Protection Zones ( areas that you want to keep clear and non-flammable, using materials such as gravel - around the house and sheds) and Strategic Fire Advantage Zones (areas such as driveways that you want to keep clear in a bushfire emergency and might consider burning regularly).  Then we looked at Land Management Zones based on the different vegetation types (we only had one type on our property - Eucalyptus open forest, and its suited to burning every 4-8 years in order to regenerate), this is where we could then plan management techniques and frequency of planned burning.  Note that some vegetation types do not benefit from fire and should actually be protected from fire.

If this is something you would find useful talk to your local council or rural fire service.  SEQ Fire and Biodiversity Consortium is organising these sessions in SEQ, I'm sure there would be something similar in your area.  If you can't make it to a workshop, check out the resources on their site, get yourself an areal map from google maps and mark out your zones.  You can also create a bushfire survival plan here or through your state rural fire service.  Those in southern states probably already have a plan, but here we have less frequent fires, less building requirements for fire-proofing and onus is more on the landholder to find out what to do.

We have some work to do to finish our maps and plans as a one day workshop was not quite long enough, but definitely gave us all the information we needed to make a start.  It completely changed my opinion on the use of fire in maintaining our property and we will look at controlled burns in the future.  Long-term, I really want to volunteer with the rural fire service and learn more skills for protecting our property and our neighbours' properties in future.

Do you have a bushfire survival plan?  Have you used controlled fires to manage bushland?





Comments

  1. Hi Liz, My sister and brother-in-law are actively involved in the rural fire brigade in their area and I have to admire their commitment and also of others involved.

    When I was in Woodford not so long ago they were called out in temperatures in the 40'sC and with all their gear it must have Ben an exhausting task.

    So glad you took advantage of the course offered. It can make such a difference.

    In Vancouver it has rained almost non stop for the past few weeks.. Days are getting longer but we long for temperatures to pass 10C. The gardens are soggy! Luckily I have a little cold frame and my lettuce is thriving.

    Take care.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Farm update - August 2017

Its been cold this month, and very nice to have the fire going every night.  Here's a photo of my boy in his cape, great for late night woofing at things.  Most of July we were either preparing for the butcher to come or putting meat away.  Its always a big job, but its only once a year, and its all done now.  My lovely neighbour came over to help, so it was fun to have the company and work together.  Taz was a champion once again as she helped us to move cattle in the yards ready to load for the market.  Gus is not at that level yet and had to stay home (he cries when he gets left behind, but he just gets in the way and scatters the cattle).  We have had a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but also plenty of cold nights, so the grass is mostly dead and dry, waiting for the warmer weather to revive our summer-active pasture. Gus in his cape Taz after she helped to move cattle Food and cooking It was all about beef in July and we are v...

Cooking and eating beans

When I was growing up, my family never ate many dried beans, they just weren't something that was used much in NZ cuisine.  If I did eat beans, it was always from a can (and most likely baked beans).  And until recently I was still using beans from a can, but it can be difficult to get organic beans, and to find cans not lined with BPA.  Then I had an opportunity to buy some organic dry goods in bulk, so I bought 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of adzuki beans and 5kg of chickpea (garbanzo beans).  I know, that is a lot of beans.  And then I didn't really know what to do with them!  Not just what dishes to put them in, but how to prepare them, I just didn't know what method to use. So I decided it was time to learn how to use all these beans that I bought, here's what I found out. I started with an excellent ebook called The Everything Beans Book , from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship, which has lots of bean recipes, but more importantly, an explanation of h...

Guest post: Is there a place for power tools in the garden?

One of my regular readers and commenters offered to write a guest post about a horticulture course, its quite a funny read, with some serious insights into our technology obsession.  If you'd like to submit a guest post, email me at eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.  While I am always happy to share links back to your blog or website, this contributor preferred to remain anonymous.  I hope you enjoy their story.... -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**-  -**- Just a few days ago our daily horticulture classes were interrupted by an invitation to review some new gardening gadgets. The idea was to open half a dozen of electric hand trimmers , test them and fill in some review about their goods and bads. As nothing is more dear to a student – even a “hort “ one - to escape routine and mess around till lunchtime, we opened the boxes and got down to business. What did we...